Letter from Lindy Dec 9
I don’t know about you, but I echo the sentiment that Nathan Miller-Olawsky voiced after Mark Webbink alerted us to the possibility of our first snow. And not just flurries, but Diego is forecasted to drop anywhere from 5-8 inches around the Triangle, Saturday into Sunday. Nathan responded, “I’m always caught off-guard by the first storm of the season.” How true!
But now alerted, I am obsessively following the weather channels as Diego makes its way across the country, from California to North Carolina–already wreaking havoc on our West Coast neighbors. Our weather folks offer us a chorus of caution and preparation.
With that, we are making contingency plans in the event of snow accumulation. My prayer is that by Saturday evening, we will be able to determine whether to cancel worship services on Sunday. As the snow is forecasted to fall throughout the night, into Sunday, we will be unable to have the campus cleared for parking. That being said, the roads will probably be difficult to navigate anyway.
In the event we cancel service for Sunday, I will send out a church-wide email through our Google office account. I will also alert the Deacons to call the members of their care groups, so that everyone receives notice. Let me encourage every Pilgrim to also call fellow Pilgrims, to whom they are connected, just to ensure no one is unaware. I believe it perfectly wonderful if folks receive multiple calls of care. As they say, it takes a community to be church.
I also ask the Board of Christian Service to be ready to contact our friends who plan to join us for our Alternative Giving Market, so that folks who would not normally be part of our regular communication are also notified.
Our prayer is Diego will be a non-event, our preparation will be for any eventuality.
Hope to see you on Sunday.