Pilgrim United Church of Christ
3011 Academy Road, Durham NC 27707
At Pilgrim United Church of Christ, an Open and Affirming Congregation, we believe as Augustine (perhaps
apocryphally) did - that singing is like praying twice. Pilgrims believe that music is integral to worship, and
that the diversity of our musical tastes is to be celebrated. The musical tradition at Pilgrim dictates that the
Organist/Accompanist have training in the "classics" of Christian liturgical music, but our repertoire varies
from Medieval and Renaissance motets to high Romantic-period choral works to spirituals to protest songs of
the 1960s to popular music of today. As such our Organist/Accompanist is a unique position that requires
flexibility above all things, and we seek a candidate who is equally enthusiastic about (for example) Josquin,
Palestrina, and Schütz as they are about Malvina Reynolds, Björk, or Frank Ocean, and equally comfortable
accompanying classical church anthems as they are improvising on popular songs and sight-reading with less
than extensive notice. Current students are especially encouraged to apply.
Send resume/CV and cover letter to:
. Anticipated start date: July 30, 2014
Keyboard instruments available at PUCC: Aeolian-Skinner organ, Kawai baby grand piano, Yamaha YDP-223
keyboard, Single-manual harpsichord
The Organist/Accompanist assumes the following responsibilities to the PUCC congregation:
1. Under the direction of the Music Director, play the organ and/or piano for regularly scheduled worship
services including a prelude/postlude, hymns, choral accompaniments and incidental music as
2. Play the organ and/or piano at regularly scheduled choir rehearsals and at special rehearsals, with
adequate prior notice by the Music Director, in support of usual or special worship events.
3. Play the organ and/or piano for special worship events, including Christmas Eve and Maundy
Thursday, as mutually agreed upon with the Music Director and ministerial staff.
4. Recommend preludes, postludes, or hymns as requested by the Music Director or Pastor.
5. Play (or oversee the use of) the organ and other church instruments for weddings and funerals held in
6. Oversee care and maintenance of the organ and other church instruments within budgetary limits.
7. Recommend substitute and guest musicians to the Music Director as appropriate.
8. Include all who wish to participate in the music program, respecting the time commitment of those
who attend choir practice on a weekly basis.
Members of the PUCC congregation assume the following responsibilities to the Organist/Accompanist:
1. Provide reasonable salary support commensurate with professional training, work activities, and
achievement of job responsibilities as dictated in the guidelines published by the American Guild of
2. Maintain an environment of artistic freedom for the Organist/Accompanist and for all musicians
performing in the church.
3. Participate in the church music program.
4. Provide material support to the church music program.
5. Encourage the Organist/Accompanist to use the organ, other church instruments and facilities for paid
private instruction, rehearsals, and recitals. Any facility use will need to be scheduled to avoid conflict
with activities planned for PUCC.
6. Ensure that the Organist/Accompanist is paid for professional services, such as weddings at a rate
consistent with the PUCC wedding policy.
7. Offer but not require membership in PUCC.
8. Ensure that PUCC is open to and affirming of all individuals, not discriminating on the basis of race,
gender, disability, or sexual orientation/identity.
9. Provide timely and appropriate feedback and support among the Music Committee, Music Director, and
10. Offer opportunities for the musician to interact with and get to know members of church.