1794 James O’Kelly dissents from the Methodist Church and founds a church known simply as the Christian Church. The aim is to restore the simplicity of the original Christian community, and to oppose authoritarian church government. James O’Kelly’s denunciation of slavery attracts many African-Americans to Christian churches in the south. O’Kelly’s Chapel, where today’s Pilgrim UCC congregation worships every spring, is his home church.
1886 Soon after Durham is founded, WT Herndon is sent to organize a Christian church in Durham. A year later, the church has 40 members. By 1889, a church building on Liberty Street is completed.
1900 Many descendants of James O’Kelly and others who have been attending O’Kelly Chapel move to Durham and begin attending the Durham Christian Church. Jim Harward, and Beth Bowling, his daughter, members of today’s Pilgrim UCC, are descendants of James O’Kelly, and their family also moved to Durham at that time.
1908 The Durham Christian Church moves to the corner of Gregson St. and Main St. In 1924 the name changes to Main Street Christian Church.1931 Christian churches merge with Congregational churches. The name of our church changes to Congregational Christian Church.
1961 The congregation votes to join the United Church of Christ. The same year, the church selects a site for a new church building on Academy Road.
1964 The pastor of our church baptizes an African-American child, and after a period of discussion, the congregation votes to formally welcome integration of African-Americans in worship, Sunday School, and other congregational activities. The vote occurs a few months after Durham desegregates its restaurants, stores, movie theaters and motels, but while the city is still struggling with school desegregation.
1967 The congregation moves to its present site at 3011 Academy Road.
1971 Dot Harward and Clara Godwin are ordained as the first woman deacons at our church. (This photo was taken in 2005.) 1975 The congregation adopts the name Pilgrim United Church of Christ.
1984 Rev. Ron Johnson and Durham UCC pastors Rev. Dan Squires and Rev. JC Cheek begin planning shared worship among African-American and white UCC congregations in Durham. Thus begins the Exchange Program at Pilgrim, Zion Temple and Mt. Calvary UCC. Members of each congregation attended a “sister” congregation for 3 months, serving in the same roles as their home churches. Later, congregations gathered for joint worship, picnics, offerings, and community service.
1999 Pilgrim adopts a Welcoming Statement and becomes an Open and Affirming congregation.
2000 Jane Neufang from Germany’s EKU becomes the first international pastor to serve on Pilgrim’s staff for a year.
2001 Marion Stanley is ordained as the first African-American deacon at Pilgrim.